Friday 21 June 2013

Gavin Hunt on Bollockz: I can't promise Wits will finished ahead of SuperSport but I have got a Sunderland star coming over





GAVIN HUNT, three-time winner of the PSL title with SuperSport United, has no doubt he can achieve success with Bidvest Wits as he prepares for his first season in charge with the SuperBoys.

In a wide-ranging interview to launch my new show “BOLLOCKZ” on Ballz visual radio, Hunt revealed the link between his new club and Sunderland – and said a centre-back is on his way from the north-east of England to reinforce his squad at Wits next season.

On his long-awaited departure from SuperSport, Hunt said: “It was tough hey, this thing came about. I’ve got ideas of what they want to do and how they want to do it. But I was very comfortable at SuperSport, I had great support there, a good set-up.

 “I can’t promise we’ll finish above SuperSport… Obviously, the owners of Wits want me to do better!

“There’s a tie up, a link with Sunderland, I’m going to be going over there and have a look around. Their manager Paulo di Canio might give me a hard time!

“Listen, I’m a West Ham supporter, I saw him play for them a couple of times. He’s passionate about it, I’m sure he’ll do well with them.

“I’ve got a centre-back coming, a Sunderland centre-back. We’ll see how he does at Wits. 

 “I had a goalkeeper from England at SuperSport, it was a bloody disaster! He was at the end of his career. He did well but it turned out bad.

 “But there’s a lot of players who go from academy football and can’t make it in England. They’re very good players.

“In the 60s and 70s, we had a lot of English players in South Africa. I just feel there’s a huge gap for academy players from England to come here and earn a great living and enjoy a good lifestyle playing out here.

“At Hellenic when I was in the juniors, Gordon Banks, Martin Peters, Geoff Hurst and Alan Ball, England internationals, all played under Budgie Byrne my father-in-law!

“But you have to be careful. We’ve got a link with Sunderland, but what does it really mean? I was involved with the Ajax Amsterdam think at Seven Stars when I first started.

“It’s very difficult for players to switch countries. You’ve got be special. Poor Bongani Khumalo hasn’t made it has he?”

BOLLOCKZ! My new show on www.ballz.co.uk. Tune in by live stream or app, from anywhere in the world, 10am-noon every Thursday. Follow me on www.twitter.com/nealcol and see our backers www.topodds.com for the latest sports betting!

No comments:

Post a Comment