Sunday 9 November 2014

Pitso Mosimane post-match: after Sundowns semi-final defeat here's what he had to say

Under pressure: Pitso Mosimani
Less than six months after lifting the PSL title with Mamelodi Sundowns, coach Pitso Mosimane finds himself under fire following today's 1-0 TelkomKO semi-final defeat at Platinum Stars.

Pelted verybally and physically by KaboYellow fans after the game, the social networks erupted in scorn for the former Bafana Bafana boss. Some even suggested Masandawana only won the title last season because Kaizer Chiefs collapsed, saying they have been "lacklustre" throughout Pitso's reign.

Nobody can possibly agree with that. Any Arsenal (or AmaZulu) fan will tell you a championship is a magnificent achievement, anywhere, anyhow. And they can be as rare as a snow storm in the Sahara.

Pitso knows former Sundowns star Dove Wome is scoring for SuperSport, who reached the final with a 2-0 win over grieving Orlando Pirates on Saturday night. And he knows he is weighed down by the expectation which accompanies a club backed by biollionaire Patrice Motsepe.

But with SIX of our 17 PSL coaches already gone this season, would you REALLY get rid of the championship coach less than a third of the way through the season? Without further comment, here's what Pitso said after the game today. Judge for yourself whether he deserves the boot. I know what I think:


Difficult times, ey?

Our game-plan first half was good, I think it was perfect, we had movement, passing the ball well, chances being created, and - again - chances were not taken.

One chance ey? They came once. One chance and they score. I mean, there's nothing else that I can say really. These guys were coming to score and that was that. The game of football, they suck you in, one chance, one break, one mistake. When people suck you in, that's the problem.

It was a tactical mistake at the back between my two centre-backs. Against Pirates we had the same thing on the same side when Kermit Erasmus scored … and I addressed it, we worked on it, and it went well in all the other games since.

Again today... it pops up, I think my right centre-back could have covered my left centre-back, he was a little too far from him, and you lose a game like this ey? It's only that, nothing else, nothing else.

At the end of the day it's all on the coach. I discussed it, I spoke, we discussed it, we have done it, we have covered it … it happens again.

But I'm the coach, I take responsibility, it's my team … it means I'm not trying harder for them to do it more, but it's sad, the game of football goes like this. 

But I have to pep them up now, it's terrible hey, it's very sad... but it's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment